Monday, January 23, 2012

Our First Doctor Visit

January 4, 2012

After all of the hype and excitement of the new baby, it was time to get down to business. The first doctor visit had arrived and it was time to find out when we would welcome our new addition. I was so incredibly nervous as I have obviously never had a visit to this extent before. It's quite intimidating being around other women who have gone through this process numerous times. I was the newbie. I had no clue what I was doing or what was to come and I was one of the only ones who carried my "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book as a bible in my purse. Luckily, I was able to drag Nick along with me so that I wasn't alone.

They call us into the office and of course do the usual testing, measurements and weighing as they do with every usual routine visit. However, this time, they were testing for that baby hormone that should be streaming through my body at this point. After a good hour of waiting and answering questions, we were told that in fact we were expecting and that the tests that I had taken had not proven me wrong. I think that we both became overwhelmed and glanced at each other with smiles but we weren't sure what else to say. After the doctor had completed all testing and other necessary 'shenanigans', she decided that we could have an ultrasound done to determine baby's due date.

We thought that it was way too early to have an ultrasound done, as we were only 7 weeks at this time. After being moved to the ultrasound room, I wasn't quite ready for what I was about to see.
In fact, there was a tiny little one growing inside me. At this time, everything went from being surreal, to being incredibly real. Lucky for us, technology has grown tremendously and we were able to hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time. It was moving quite rapid, but at a healthy pace. A sigh of relief came from both of us as we knew that this was not just fun and games any more but we in fact were becoming parents. A little baby was about to be with us and we hoped we were ready for the next months that were about to be upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment